Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Lemon Pickle Recipe




     As I was editing the pics to create this post on Lemon Pickle, I was wondering what is new in this age old recipe. I made it for the first time all by myself !!!

I am in India for a short vacation of one month. Two weeks flew sooo very fast. Had a good time attending my husband's cousins marriage - needless to say that I ate a lot of delicacies, the lovely Vaazhai Ilai Saapadu (Food served on Banana Leaf) 4 times a day :P  a lot of variety !!! Dressing up... Taking photos.. Eating.. Shopping.. And finally the wedding is over. and the 2 days of gala time came to an end and I turned up to my blog. 
    Last ditch efforts to make a post, so that November 2016 is not left without any posts... Uffff...  So crazy... Sitting and editing the post at 10.45pm in India.. when all are asleep...ZZZzzzz..

Prep Time: 15 mins (plus a week resting time) || Cook Time: 10 mins || Yields: 150 gm || Category: Pickles

Ingredients:

1. Lemon - 2 or 3 (here we get only big ones so I used 2)
2. Gingelly oil - 3 tbsp
3. Fenugreek powder - 2 tsp
4. Red chili powder - 1 tbsp
5. Mustard seeds - 2 tsp
6. Salt - as required
8. Turmeric powder - a pinch
7. Hing - a generous amount

Method:

1. Cut lemon into small pieces. Sprinkle some salt and let it rest for a week. Make sure to give it a shake couple of times daily. Keet an iron kadai (preferably) with gingelly oil. Add mustard and allow them to splutter. Then add a little bit of fenugreek powder and then simmer the flame.
 2. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and then the cut lemon pieces. Stir well to get a uniform coating of all the ingredients. Switch off the flame.
3. Now add required amount of red chili powder and salt and mix well. Switch on the flame and then give a final mixing of chili powder and salt. and then switch off the flame.

Suggestions:


  • Use gingelly oil for a flavourful pickle.
  • Always use a clean dry spoon for serving the pickle.
  • Keep it air-tight and never use your hands to take the pickle.
  • Stir well every time when taking the pickle.
  • Use optimum quantity of salt and red chili powder. Otherwise there are chances that pickle will decay sooner.
  • It is better to refrigerate the pickle after keeping it outside for 2 days.
  • A very important lesson I learnt by experience - Never keep pickles in stainless steel container, as the citric acid in it will corrode steel container and create a hole in it :P I experienced this with Narthangai pickle. My mother-in-law enlightened me with this fact !!


1 comment:

  1. Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article.
    Desi chhokri
    Desi chokri kurtis
    Desichhokri
    Desi chokri

    ReplyDelete